Anna Maria Island, Fla., on the Gulf of Mexico has been a favorite beach destination among Florida residents for more than a century. The seven-mile island is one of the few destinations in the state that does not have any high rises or chain restaurants. While AMI's embrace of the classic-Florida beach getaway makes it a favorite for fun with families and friends, it's also a romantic escape for falling in love or keeping a connection strong.
Before you bring your partner to the island, here are seven of the most popular sources of romance on Anna Maria Island:
1. Sunset: Every sunset is different on AMI. A magnificent cocktail of reds, blues and oranges fill the sky and the clouds form radiant sculptures overhead as the sun returns to the lonely ocean each night.
2. Charter Sailboat: The solitude of the sea is best experienced under a big white sail. Let Mother Nature take care of the sights, sounds and even the propulsion. There are many private boats for charter or rent such as Spice Charter, Anna Maria Sailing and Bimini Bay Sailing.
3. Beach Walk: White sand hugs Anna Maria Island from north to south creating approximately eight miles of uninterrupted beachfront. Take a long walk along the beach and remember you can catch a free trolley ride back.
4. Elegant Dining: Whether you are in search of world-class dining or a simple meal with an ocean view, your table is set at Anna Maria Island. Well-known chef Sean Murphy's Beach Bistro represents the high-end, while other fine water-front restaurants include Bridge Street Bistro and The Waterfront.
5. Butterfly Park: The Anna Maria Island Butterfly Park located in Holmes Beach is home to many of nature's most elegant fliers as well as dozens of exotic plants.
6. Bean Point: On the northern most tip of the island is Bean Point, thus named in honor of the original settlers more than 100 years ago. Bean Point provides breathtaking views of Tampa Bay.
7. Bicycle Ride: Two wheels are better than four. Beach cruiser bicycles are a fun way to see Anna Maria Island 's incredible scenery. Coquina Gulfside Park on the southern portion of the island has 1.5 mile paved trail perfect for a relaxing cruise with stunning views. Bicycles are available for rent from Just For Fun, Beach Bums, Fun and More Rentals, Segs by the Sea and The Island Scooter Store.